Sunday, July 29, 2007

London Calling? Or Havana?

Well, though still a few weeks away from getting into my new condo, I'm enjoying Skokie and the northern burbs (though I regret missing the DuPage County Fair; nothing like rows of cows and goats on a 90 degree day). Today I went to a house party -- and this was quite a house, in Highland Park -- for Daniel Biss, a young University of Chicago math professor who is running for the IL House in District 17, which covers Skokie and nearby. U.S. Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky and a couple of current state reps were there. I was impressed by Daniel; obviously he's a bright guy, but he also seems to be well-composed and knowledgeable on many issues. (http://www.danielbiss.com/) I'm hoping to get involved with his campaign in some way.

Prior to going to the gathering, I thought I'd get myself in a political state of mind by seeing Sicko, the Michael Moore movie, which conveniently was playing at the Highland Park Theatre. I certainly admire Michael Moore and the dialogue he spurs, but sometimes I find him a bit too overt in presenting what to me (and I'd presume most Dems) seems to be an obvious message that the "other side" will opt to reject regardless. But I'm not sure I want to know anyone who can see Sicko and not feel a sense of shame for the state of health care (or more accuratly perhaps, coverage) in the United States. As Moore (http://www.michaelmoore.com/) depicts with typical irreverence and incredulity, Canada, England, France and even Cuba(!!!) have universal health systems that seemingly provide comprehensive, quality healthcare for everyone (including visiting Americans) while still managing to make doctors wealthy. And as Sicko artfully depicts, even those of us fortunate to have health insurance would likely be far better off in a country where the public good takes precedent over the profits and lobbying power of insurance, health care and pharmaceutical companies.

I asked Cong. Schakowsky if Washington, on both sides, takes Michael Moore seriously, because it would seem obvious that they should. She said she and others got a private screening of the movie, and she certainly endorses some sort of universal coverage, but said it won't even be on the table until the next administration.

No comments: