Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Theosophical Society Meeting

Last night I was given the opportunity to go and speak with a small contingent of people from the Theosophical Society. I was asked to speak by our close friend David Bland and was excited by the opportunity. That being said, I had no idea what to expect so I wrote out some notes about OTDB, Progressive politics and our mission heading into the future. In my experience, Mr. Bland is a man of action and a man of integrity therefore my expectations were very high. However, what I encountered was more than I could have ever asked for. I sat and talked with a handful of people from the Theosophical Society and I couldn't believe how quickly time went by. I began to learn about the society, which I strongly encourage you to look into (http://www.theosophical.org). This is a group who is based around three objects and I am simply going to cut and paste these objects;

The three declared Objects of the Theosophical Society are:

  • To form a nucleus of the universal brotherhood of humanity, without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste, or color.
  • To encourage the comparative study of religion, philosophy, and science.
  • To investigate unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in humanity.
The group then listened intently to my (not so) short synopsis of OTDB and were ready with some tremendous questions. I cannot describe to you how much I enjoyed the evening and how much I learned. I strongly urge you to learn more about their group, they are truly sincere people who we could all learn many lessons from. I believe Mr. Bland would say the same thing about OTDB and doesn't that alone make all of this hard work worthwhile? When it comes down to it, we are all working together to make DuPage, and the world, a better place to live and learn. We are in great company folks, let us not forget how important that is.

3 comments:

Marvin Sussman said...

There is only one issue for the 2008 election: Iraq.

You need a practical solution that can appeal to conservatives. I sent an email Sept 5 to otdb with that position: partition of Iraq.

Conservative journalists David Brooks and Charle Krauthammer have now recognized the trend toward partitioning Iraq. If Roskam takes that posisition first, all is lost for 2008.

I would like to discuss it with a thinker.

Please don't blow it!

Marvin Sussman

Gary Kleppe said...

Iraq may well be the biggest issue in the Presidential and Congressional races. I don't think you could expect it to be much of an issue in state and local races, which is more what O:TDB is concerned with.

In my view (and none of this should be construed as an official O:TDB response), the only solution is to end the occupation and let Iraqis take charge of their own country. If they freely decide that they want to be partitioned, that's fine.

What's not okay is for the USA to dictate a partitioning scheme to the Iraqis. Forcing them to divide their country according to plans made on our end is the same sort of imperialism that got us into this mess.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.